Kingston, 1 October 2018 – The Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, the Honourable Olivia Grange, has announced that her Ministry will be getting funding support from UN Women towards the implementation of the National Strategic Action Plan to Eliminate Gender-based Violence.
The Minister made the comment as she signed a Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport and the UN Women Multi-Country Office of the Caribbean.
The National Strategic Action Plan to Eliminate Gender-based Violence is a ten-year programme of activities — which is being implemented across the whole of government — with specific targets towards eliminating this horrendous crime. The Plan has a series of actions to prevent violence, protect and deliver adequate services to victims and to deal appropriately with perpetrators.
"It's great that the Ministry now has a partner who is assisting Government in funding these projects," said Minister Grange. "This MOU is going to have a far-reaching impact on the Government's effort to fight gender-based violence."
She explained that under the MOU, UN Women will assist with the development of a public education campaign titled 'No Excuse For Abuse' which will take the anti-violence message to communities across the country.
Minister Grange said:
"The public education programme that will follow the signing of this MOU will address areas like prevention, protection, investigation and enforcement. The campaign which speaks to 'No Excuse for Abuse' is a message that is going to be carried far and wide. We want to get into the communities right across Jamaica. We will be using Government information bodies such as the JIS and the CPTC but it's going to be an all-media campaign."
The UN Women Multi-Country Office of the Caribbean Representative, Alison McLean, said the MOU represented a continuation of the agency's collaboration with the Government to eliminate gender-based violence. UN Women had assisted the Government to develop the National Strategic Action Plan.
Mrs McLean said:
"In this particular phase we will be working with the Bureau [of Gender Affairs] as project manager and the Ministry along with JIS and CPTC to develop a campaign around gender-based violence using the data we have gleaned from the Women's Health Survey that for the first time gives us definitive data on violence against women (gender-based violence), and its effect on families and communities in Jamaica."
Among other things, the Women's Health Survey found that one in every four women in Jamaica has experienced physical violence by a male partner; that a quarter of women had been sexually abused by men who are not their intimate partners; that one out of every five women reported being sexually abused before reaching 18 years old and that the main perpetrators were family and friends.
The MOU will be in effect for three years.
Kingston, September 26 – The Honourable Olivia Grange, Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, today announced that “the Prevention of Sexual Harassment draft Bill, with all the revisions recommended by Cabinet, is now ready to be signed off on”.
“The Bill now reflects recommendations that came from Cabinet regarding the establishment of a Sexual Harassment Tribunal to hear all sexual harassment matters and the designation of field officers from the Bureau of Gender Affairs as authorised officers,” the Minister said.
She described the amendments to the draft Bill as “major achievements”.
Including in the draft are new proposals for hearing sexual harassment complaints. According to the Minister, the new proposals include a mechanism for complaints to be dealt with by the Bureau of Gender Affairs.
Minister Grange was speaking at a WMW Jamaica Forum, held under the theme, ‘The impact of Media Reporting on Violence against Women in the Caribbean’ at CARIMAC Annex 11, University of the West Indies, Mona on Wednesday.
The Prevention of Sexual Harassment Bill seeks to protect women and men from unwanted sexual advances, requests for sexual favours, and crude sexual behaviours that affect the quality of life by creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive environment.
Kingston, 23 August 2018 – The Honourable Olivia Grange, Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport has announced that the Government has acquired property for the purpose of establishing the first state-run National Shelter for victims and survivors of Gender-based Violence (GBV).
The property in rural Jamaica was purchased through the National Land Agency and handed over to the Ministry.
Minister Grange said, “The National Shelter will accommodate victims and survivors of GBV and their children. It will also offer basic necessities, counselling and other forms of psycho-social support. This is in keeping with the National Strategic Action Plan to Eliminate Gender-based Violence, which recommends providing adequate shelters to protect victims of GBV.”
The Shelter will enable more victims across the country to leave a violent situation, to recuperate, to regain their independence and be empowered to avoid future abuse,
the Gender Minister said.
She explained that, “The location of the property is not being disclosed in keeping with the confidential clause of the Draft National Shelter Strategy. The property was purchased as part of the Jamaica 55 Legacy Project, which commits establishment of three Satellite Shelters in rural Jamaica, and one Shelter in corporate area.
“It is to be renovated and will be operationalized through a public-private partnership agreement with the Woman Inc."