JAMAICA CULTURAL DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (LEVEL 8)
Corporate Mission Statement:
The mission of the JCDC is to enhance national development through cultural practices by creating opportunities that unearth, develop, preserve and promote creative talents and expressions of the Jamaican people. This will be achieved through professional and responsive staff collaboration with stakeholders.
Reporting to the Chairman of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is the senior executive officer who is accountable to the Board for all aspects of the business of the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission (JCDC).
He/She will be responsible for providing strategic leadership whereby the JCDC executes its mandate to increase the opportunities for cultural expressions while realizing the economic and social value of culture.
He/she will also lead the Commission’s mission by successfully implementing the strategic goals and objectives as directed by the Board and in accordance with the Government of Jamaica’s national cultural policies.
The incumbent will have responsibility for:
- Ensuring that the organisation’s mission, programmes, products and services are consistently presented in a strong and positive image and reflect the heritage and variety of Jamaica’s culture.
- Overseeing the design, development, marketing, delivery and quality of programmes, products and services of the organisation.
- Implementing policy directions of the Board of Directors and providing the interface between the Directors and the staff.
- Liaising with the Permanent Secretaries of the Ministry of Culture Gender Entertainment & Sport, the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service and the Board of Directors in the negotiation and setting of the annual budget for the Commission and prudently managing the organisation’s resources within those budgeted guidelines according to current laws and regulations.
- Directing the management of the human resources of the organisation in accordance with the approved personnel policies and procedures, resulting in the optimum utilization of the human resources in achieving the goals of human development as well as the organisational efficiency of the Commission and in conformance with the Jamaican Labour Laws.
- Overseeing projects and project alliances to ensure that partnership arrangements are maintained and timely and comprehensive reporting to external partners and stakeholders are done.
The ideal candidate should have:
Specific Knowledge, Qualification and Experience
- A Masters in Management or Business Administration or equivalent from an accredited tertiary institution with a minimum of five (5) years working at a senior/executive level in the discipline.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Development Studies, Education or Cultural Studies from an accredited tertiary institution with a minimum of five (8) years working at a senior/executive level in the discipline.
- At least seven (8) years’ experience in the management of a company as an Executive Manager, four (4) of which should be as the head of the organisation in a medium public or private organisation.
- Advanced Training in Theatre Arts and Entertainment Management would be an asset.
- Knowledge of authentic and transformational culture, its contribution to the Gross Domestic Product, international reach, impact and its pivotal role in creating ‘Brand Jamaica’.
- Knowledge of the Public Bodies Management and Accountability Act.
Required Skills and Specialised Techniques
- An impressive combination of technical and operational knowledge and a proven track record for achieving desired outcomes and influencing change.
- A strategic visionary with sound technical and analytical skills and strong operational focus.
- A confident communicator who is pragmatic and consistent, with excellent conceptual, communication and listening skills, with a definite ability to lead and motivate all stakeholders.
- Professional presence, recognized integrity, sound judgment and a team-building approach that cultivates confidence. Equally important is a network of successful relationships with the local and international community as well as government agencies.
Applications with Curriculum Vitae should be sent no later than November 27, 2020 to:
Jamaica Cultural Development Commission
3 – 5 Phoenix Avenue
NB: ONLY SHORT LISTED APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED