Counsellor (SWG/PS 4)
Bureau of Gender Affairs
Salary Range: $1,577,167 – $1,874,755 per annum and any allowances attached to the post.
Under the general direction of the Shelter Manager, the Counsellor is responsible for providing psychosocial support to women and children who resides at the National Shelter and assists in the operations of the shelter in accordance with policies and procedures.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS INCLUDE:
- Participates in the development and implementation of the Unit’s operational plan and budget;
- Assists with the implementation and evaluation of projects and programmes;
- Prepares and submits technical and administrative reports as required;
- Represents the Unit at meetings/conferences and other fora as requested.
- Provides appropriate intervention in response to emotional, behavioural and physical needs of clients;
- Maintains and supervises established routines and procedures for the clients;
- Assists residents to establish and achieve individualised goals;
- Maintains confidentiality of residents;
- Participates in designing and implementation of programme activities;
- Participates in research/evaluation/quality assurance activities that would enhance the efficiency and/or effectiveness of service delivery;
- Provides referrals and follow-up as necessary;
- Provides support to all Shelter programme areas as requested;
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Sound knowledge of Government regulations, laws and guidelines which affects adults and children who are victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and/or abuse
- Excellent knowledge in counselling skills and techniques
- Sound knowledge of conflict resolution
- Excellent knowledge in Crisis Management
- Able to work well with creative people and diverse groups
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and other relevant computer applications and systems
- Oral and written and communication skills
- Analytical thinking
- Problem solving and decision making
- Planning and organising
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Interpersonal skills
- Team work and cooperation
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate Degree in Counselling/Social Work or its equivalent from a recognised tertiary institution
- Certification in Counselling Services
- Training in First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Minimum five (5) years’ in a related field.
Director, Human Resource Management and Development
Ministry of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport
4-6 Trafalgar Road, Kingston 5
We thank all applicants for their expressions of interest, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.