MINISTRY OF CULTURE, GENDER, ENTERTAINMENT AND SPORT
The Ministry of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport invites applications from suitably qualified persons to fill the posts of Senior Communications Officer (MCG/IE 4) in the Public Relations and Corporate Communications Division. Salary Range: $1,466,354 - $1,743,034 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Senior Communications Officer (MCG/IE 4)
Under the direction of the Director, Public Relations and Corporate Communications, assists in developing and implementing information strategies to present a favourable image of the Ministry and the Government of Jamaica in order to enhance public acceptance of the Ministry’s policies and programmes.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
1. Management/Administrative Responsibilities
- Assists in the development, implementation and monitoring of the Divisions operational/work plans and budget;
- Participates in the development and implementation of an annual comprehensive Communications/Public Relations Plans and Programmes for the Ministry;
- Supports the requirements of the approved budget for the Division ensuring that all expenditure are documented and accounted for according to GOJ guidelines.
2. Technical/Professional Responsibilities
- Advises the Minister on media issues;
- Researches and writes speeches for the Minister and Permanent Secretary;
- Arranges news conferences and briefings as required;
- Assists in the preparation of Minister’s Parliamentary presentations;
- Liaises with Communication Officers in all Ministries/Departments on matters affecting the image of the Government and devise corrective action as required;
- Prepares, edits and issues media advisories, news releases, feature stories, captioned photographs, announcements, advertisements, and liaises with media houses for disseminating information;
- Attends and arranges media coverage for the Ministry’s events;
- Organizes press briefings and interviews with the press;
- Attends meetings on behalf of the Ministry and delivers speeches to enhance the Ministry’s image;
- Represents the Ministry on television and radio panel discussions;
- Develops and maintains a harmonious relationship between the Ministry and the media;
- Develops and maintains the Ministry’s strong and positive presence on new media platforms including: website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram Account and YouTube channel.
- Knowledge of the general functions, programmes, objectives and policies of the Ministry
- In-depth knowledge of mass communication techniques
- Excellent speech, news writing and editing skills
- Excellent skills and experience in new media
- Excellent Customer and Quality Focus
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and other relevant computer applications and systems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and decision making
- Ability to work as part of a team and is cooperative
- Good ethical principles and sound integrity
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively manage external relationships
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- An Undergraduate Degree in Mass Communications, Journalism or the equivalent
- Five (5) years’ experience in Corporate Communications, Public Relations, Advertising or the Media
- Diploma in Mass Communications/Journalism
- Eight (8) years’ experience in Corporate Communications, Public Relations, Advertising or the Media with at least five (5) years in a senior capacity.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Wednesday, April 4, 2018 to:
Director, Human Resource Management and Development
Ministry of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport
4-6 Trafalgar Road
We thank all applicants for their expressions of interest, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.