Director Sports Policy Development (GMG/SEG 3) (VACANT)
Salary Range: $2,336,309- $2,777,138 per annum
Under the general direction of the Senior Director, Sports Development and Monitoring, the Director is responsible for providing support in the development of sports policies and the necessary mechanisms for monitoring and implementing Sports Programmes.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS INCLUDE:
- Supports the Senior Director, Sports Development and Monitoring and the Permanent Secretary in achieving the policy priorities of the Ministry with respect to promoting organizations which operate within the sporting industry;
- Contributes to and supports the planning process of the Division’s operational plan and budget;
- Assists in the design and development of policies, systems and plans for the effective coordination, implementation and monitoring of sports development programmes.
- Promotes and facilitates the establishment and strengthening of governance mechanisms of sports within communities;
- Identifies solutions to a wide range of sporting issues and ensures implementation for effectiveness;
- Provides policy advice as required on matters relating to the Division’s portfolio responsibilities;
- Participates in the development of relevant policies and standards for the sports sector;
- Participates in the development /implementation of sport development programmes/initiatives at the community level;
- Prepares proposals, position papers and briefs in relation to the sports portfolio, as required;
- Assists in the preparation of draft Bilateral Agreements for International Sports Cooperation;
- Assists the Senior Director in the monitoring, implementation and maintenance of bilateral arrangements relating to specific areas of the Unit’s portfolio;
- Coordinates the development of programs that enhance the well-being of athletes
- Writes speeches, briefs and papers for the Prime Minister, Minister of Sports and the Permanent Secretary as required.
Human Resource Management Responsibilities
- Develops and manages the overall performance of the Division and its staff, including transferring skills, motivating staff through coaching and mentoring, arranging for training, setting performance targets, monitoring performance, providing feedback to staff and initiating corrective action where necessary to improve performance.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Sound knowledge of research, policy design and reporting
- Sound knowledge of interpreting and analyzing qualitative and quantitative statistics and presenting statistical data
- Sound knowledge of the GoJ’s policy development process
- Knowledge and experience in the sporting field
- Knowledge of Jamaica’s sporting disciplines
- Knowledge of the machinery of government (policies/programmes) and steps in the legislative process
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and other relevant computer applications and systems (Statistical Software)
- Strong customer and quality focus
- Oral and written communication skills
- Strategic vision and analytical thinking
- Problem solving and decision making skills
- Team work and cooperation
- Planning and organizing skills
- Good negotiating skills
- Leadership and people management skills
- Ability to manage external relationships
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Postgraduate Degree in Public Administration or Sports Management from a recognised tertiary institution;
- Training in Project Management;
- At least three (3) years’ experience including two (2) years in a senior capacity with involvement in policy formulation and programme development in a related field.
- First Degree in Public Administration or Sports Management from a recognized tertiary institution;
- Training in Project Management;
- At least five (5) years’ experience including three (3) years’ in a senior capacity with involvement in policy formulation and programme development in a related field.
No later than Friday, December 20, 2019 to:
Director, Human Resource Management and Development
Ministry of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport
4-6 Trafalgar Road
We thank all applicants for their expressions of interest, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.